Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Charizma & Peanut Butter Wolf ‎- Methods - 1993





In my opinion, "Methods" is one of the best Charizma's track. The song appeared on the 12" single "My World Premiere" recorded circa 1993 and released in 1996 on Stones Throw Records, three years after Charizma's tragic murder. The instrumental produced by Peanut Butter Wolf contains a sample of a song released in 1971 called "Dindi" performed by Willie Bobo and The Bo Gents. 

12" - 1996 - Stones Throw  





From The Vinyl Exchange - Courtesy of Stephanie Ornelas (RIP)


"I think this was the last song we recorded before he passed away. Our earlier songs were all “hype” because it was that Black Sheep, “The Choice Is Yours”/House of Pain, “Jump Around”/ A Tribe Called Quest, “Scenario” era. But when we recorded this, hip-hop had started getting much slower and darker. Fittingly, musically, “Methods” is a very sad and emotional-sounding song, although I never could’ve predicted it’d be our last, or the reason for that. It was my idea to have it go 45 seconds before the drums come in, and Charizma actually integrated a line from a rap I wrote in 1987, when I wanted to be a rapper. Of course, he made it sound cooler than I ever could: “Dreaming of the usual, a rap beat.” I was so excited he used that line." - Courtesy of Peanut Butter Wolf Breaks Down His 10 Favorite Songs From the Charizma Box Set - Spin Magazine - May 22nd 2014


The wax isn't really very rare, by the way the vinyl is still available on the Stones Throw website for a cheap price







No comments:

Post a Comment