Friday, August 13, 2021

The Souled Out Bumz ‎- Chumps Pull Guns - 1994


12" - 1994 - Not On Label 


Here is a 12" dropped in 1994 by The Souled Out Bumz, a group from South Carolina founded around 1993-1994 and consisted of RedRum the Mic Assassin a.k.a Assassin Red a.k.a Chuck Nice (the rapper), DJ Shakim, DJ D-Tec, and Vern Large, producer and core member of the crew who put the plan together and got the connection with Mike Sullivan who executive produced the project. I've been in contact with Vern recently and he gave me more info about him and the group. 


Vern Large :The connection between all the members happened through College. I went to school with Brian Rock, Comedian Chris Rocks brother. Upon hearing my beats he hooked me up with Assassin Red and I already knew Shakim & D-Tec. 

I was based in Sumter/Columbia, SC at the time but I'm from Fort Bragg/Fayetteville, NC. Assassin Red was born and raised in SC, Shakim is from Queens but went to SC State University, D-Tec is from Long Island originally..."


The 12" consisted of the single "Chumps Pull Guns" available in its Radio & Original versions on the A-side, and its Accapella & Instrumental versions on the B-side. The intro of the track features Greechie Rob from North Charleston, SC. 





Vern Large : "I started producing at 15. I was influenced by those before me like Larry Smith, Marley, Hurby. Ced Gee, Kurtis Mantronik, and The Bomb Squad. Then later... Large Professor, Pete Rock, Q-Tip, Beatnuts, DITC, and the like. I was mentored by Psycho Les, The Mighty V.I.C. and Lord Finesse."

In a Shakim's interview done by Canis Phylum, Shakim declared "Vern would tell us, 'When we make it to NYC, imma bring Ya'll to Lord Finesse's house & chop it up.' We would look at him and say, 'This guy don't know Lord Finesse...' When we finally went up to record, the first stop was Lord Finesse's house and damn it, he knew Vern and we were flabbergasted!! 
Large always wanted to record in New York so we jumped in a rented Cadillac. It was 6 of us. The other two guys were Spectac & my guy Greechie Rob aka The Gullah Blade. Mike Sullivan paid for the vinyl, Vern & I directed him on where to distribute it ."


Vern Large : "The name of The Souled Out Bumz... Cal Tjader's album was the inspiration. He had an album called "Souled Out". It was originally supposed to be a group with me and another producer. We were supposed to do the producers that rap thing like The Beatnuts, but Me and the guy fell out..."


"Chumps Pull Guns" was the only 12" released by the group, and nothing came out after that because the group broke up. Shakim went on to DJ for So So Def (Jermaine Dupree, and then Bow Wow), now he DJ's for New Edition. D-Tec still DJ's and does promotions. Assassin Red just fell off the face of the earth, and Vern Large is incarcerated...



Mad Props to Vern Large, stay strong bro ! 

1 comment: